Sunday, January 15, 2006

Traveling Around St. Louis

Traveling doesn't just mean leaving the town you presently live in. It can and usually does, certainly. However, traveling around St. Louis can be a real blast.

Decide what you are interested in and go there. Pretend that you are a stranger in a strange land and do what you would if you were exploring a new city.

What I have found is that I don't go to the places that I might go to if I were a visitor coming to St. Louis. I have a few rituals that don't leave me the time to actually "visit" St. Louis.

What I love to do is to poke around in thrift stores to seek out treasures. Shopping in thrift stores not only recycles some of the absolutely mountainous amounts of "stuff" our society produces, it also is like a scavenger hunt...fun! When I travel to other cities, here is my M.O.

First: Find all the natural food stores and cool restaurants.
Second: Find some interesting thrift stores.
Third: Discover the public Gardens.
Fourth: Look at the major architectural points of interest.
Fifth: Poke around interesting, rehabbed parts of the city for various unusual and interesting sites and shopping venues.

So, you see, my interests take me to where I want to go when I am visiting new cities. But dammit, in St. Louis I still haven't been to all the thrift stores that are hiding here and there.
I'm gonna make it my business to go to at least one new one in the month of Feb.

So, nurture your interests by visiting those places in St. Louis that you've taken for granted... the ones that if you were in Pittsburgh or Austin, you'd check out for sure.

Takin' a trip, takin' a trip...my, oh my, I'm takin' a trip in my own hometown.

Silly but fun...I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home